Sunday, April 20, 2008

It's Kinda Like Casual Fridays, Where I Don't Proof-Read My Work  

I've been busted for exaggerating a bit with my story telling. Truth be told, the scenario in my last post really wasn't awkward at all. I just needed to insert "I know. Awkward" for dramatic effect. We were all grownups. That chose to laugh really hard at the situation, and crack joke after joke for the rest of the night. Seeing as how only women comment on this blog (Mike included roflz (the z is silent and unnecessary in case you were wondering), I was wondering if you inform your guy friends that "blood is currently oozing out of my body". In a non-emergency situation.

Now.

Today's episode features me, Buttug Lee McOysty, with Lee not being my middle name, being thrust into two situations where I felt bad for my actions, but probably shouldn't. Either way, you decide. Because, you know, I can be completely swayed over by Internet blog comments.

----------------------------------------------------


Scenario One

I walk into a "convenience store" to purchase a small, but necessary, product (let's just keep it at that, it's more amusing for me if I force you to wonder what I'm buying, if you're wondering at all). I asked the clerk if it was okay if I got rid of my spare change. After a half-hearted, "yeah sure", I took out two dollars worth of dimes, and another two dollars worth of quarters. The clerk quickly and sarcastically quipped, "Thanks for making my life easier buddy."

As I left the store, I felt like a big dirt-bag. Until I thought about it some more, and while the customer isn't ALWAYS right (that's just dumb business sense), the customer was right in this instance. Or was I? Is there a limit to the amount of change one can use in a transaction? A sliding scale, if you will, but sort of inverted? At any time, would an store clerk be justified to say, "Nope, that's five dollars worth of pennies. Either take out some paper money, or put the bubble gum back on the rack and get out of my store"?

----------------------------------------------------


Scenario Two

I'm just about to pay for my food at the local grocery establishment, but I notice that my bundle of asparagus came out to $2.13, when the flyer clearly advertised a bundle of asparagus for $1.49. So I casually (smooth like butter) mentioned it to the cashier, who, with the most exasperated voice ever, asked, "would you like me to go check for you?"

And with that, I once more felt like a dirt-bag who just made things difficult for people. How did that happen? Did I do something way out of the ordinary here? Do I need to revise my life strategy? Do I need to put together some apology baskets, or demand some apology baskets for the attitudes I've encountered today?

posted by Buttug McOysty . 5:54 PM .