Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Problem With Reality Television  

I'm watching Last Comic Standing right now, and I've run into a bit of a mental snag. You see, there is a reality show component to this, in that the comics are couped up in a house with one another during the course of the competition. As such, hilarity often ensues, usually in the form of catty or immature rivalries and hatreds between different parties.

Now, herein lies my problem.

Three comics just competed, and two of them have to go home. To me, there is an obvious winner in terms of the funniest act.

But, the least funny of all the acts also happens to be the person I most want to see back in the house just because of the trouble she inadvertently stirs up. And obviously, this is how reality show casts are put together in the first place, not based on the merits related to the competition as the general public (that's you! or not) would believe.

I'm paralyzed with indecision here, and I don't even have a vote. I hate reality television. But for different reasons than before.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 9:48 PM .