Monday, February 11, 2008

I Venture Where I Have Not Yet Ventured Before, At Least in 2008  

If you close your eyes and read my posts, wait that doesn't make any sense, I should strike this out have my posts read to you, there are times you would mistaken me for a person that currently resides in the greatest nation on the face of this planet, the United States of America.

Please. I'm kidding (about the greatest nation thing, not about the mistaken identity thing). I am not trained to quantitatively (or even qualitatively) compare countries to each other (bachelors, computing, coming soon, thank you). But, I heart New York. Moreover, sometimes I like to exert my authority over others through military dominance (projectiles and verbal barbs). It rarely works, but that could be seen as another thing I have in common with the US.

So please, take the time to remind yourself that I, Buttug McOysty, am a Canadian. Whisper that to yourself in front of a mirror. I'll wait...

...tables.

With that all said, I now turn my attention to American politics, specifically the ongoing horse-race happening within the Democratic party.

And let's not twist things that aren't twist-ties. What it's really come down to is whether the people are more comfortable giving a white woman (Hilary stand up) or a black man (yes Obama can) the chance to, well, get a chance to reside in the Oval Office.

Let's face facts (that are really my opinions). These two people, running for the exact same party, will shade roughly the same on most issues, provided they ever become President. And even then, it's not like they can storm in there and change. There's a bureaucratic process that tends to water down most election promises and force compromises.

What you have left is this. Female vs Male. White vs Black. What interests me is that we get both gender and race weighing in at the same time. Meaning that one will ultimately prevail. And the other gets to go home and eat an ice-cream cake. And all their "*insert eventual loser's name* is YOUR 2008 Democratic candidate" t-shirts get sent to remote areas of underprivileged countries, never to be seen again.

Of further interest? You get fantastically outrageous stories about how Obama would be assassinated too quickly (because he's black) and should therefore not win.

Canadian politics have never make me LOL Zed out loud before.

*Post-Emptive Disclaimer* - I readily admit that it's not 100% about race and sex, but c'mon, that's where all the real interest is generated from.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 11:56 PM .