Monday, January 12, 2009

Kayaking Makes My Shoulders Sore  

I usually have about 3 or 4 stories that I plan to convert to blog posts coming back from a trip. Thanks to my ever changing blogging habits, I probably shouldn't go with the tried, QA'd, QC'd, and true "lead with a small story and build towards the biggie" method. Let's just get right to the main event.

I went kayaking...

...through the "river of death".

Which turned out to be more "stream of tight turns, underwater obstacles, and low hanging branches".



I didn't take that picture, because not only was I surrounded by water (water + electronics = go back to school and learn things okay?), in the state of Florida, it's not mandatory to kayak with a life-jacket on! Even if you're going through an area where there are supposedly alligators and snakes. And, before entering that area, you had to cross through a relatively high traffic channel (first time through, level 10, if you're being competitive).

Meaning that even if the camera is safely protected by Ziploc, in the event of a kayak flip-over, the camera would just float away as safety is struggled for. And I wasn't willing to take that risk.

Kayak also satisfied my need to "work out" at least once a year. Check how the generic conversation taking place sometime in 2009 would go down.

Gym Buff - I'm tired from pumping that iron and benching, like, double my weight. But going to the gym is soooo worth it. Could you please open the door? I can't lift my arms right now.

McOysty - Back in January, I paddled a kayak for 2 hours with alligators and snakes swimming beneath me, other boats either trying to run me over or cause big enough waves to tip me over, and branches hanging so low I was directed to duck, all while sipping on a can of beer. Yeah I did. So I think you should open the door for me, seeing as you owe me for imparting that bit of aawesome on you.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 11:36 PM .