Saturday, December 01, 2007

Reflection Internal  

*Preface - As opposed to reflection eternal. On a music related note, DJ Girl Talk. Have ya heard? If you haven't, you need to hook yourself up. Or bug me to hook you up. More importantly, Broken Social Scene. December 5th. I am fully aware I have an exam the night of the 5th. But if you are remotely interested, and reside in Kingston or are willing to drop by Kingston, BUG ME and let's get this show on the road!

"Sometimes it seems there are only two constants: who we are, our reality, and who we want to be, our potential. And life is the time we spend trying to bridge that gap." - T.A.N.

As John Mayer once said, everybody take a moment and acknowledge how damn deep that is. John was talking about a drum intro to a blues version of his song "Something's Missing".

It was deep.

As I continue to mull over what the future holds for me, I think I've made a startling discovery. Not a patentable discovery, but one of personal importance nonetheless. Because you see, the discovery was about me.

That sentence contained a nice rhyming structure.

I function remarkably better in the higher-institution-of-learning environment than I do in the working world, even though the amount of work, and arguably the difficulty of the work, is similar.

I'd plot the relationship out for you if I weren't so sick of, word to Ne-Yo, graphs.

Now, I was previously able to convey that point by semi-explaining that the freedom of pressure offered by academic learning as compared to the stress of delivering or facing real world implications in the work place was the main difference.

I still think there is a tidbit of truth in that. The impact of me tanking school really only impacts my parent's money my parents and I (ignoring the people I technically could've affected in the future). But those two (or three) factors still weigh in and do not allow a completely pressure-free environment.

The more likely mechanism at work here is the fact that my ENTIRE internal biological clock is just a time zone behind. Yup. It's not only my eating habits. It's also my studying/work habits.

From the hours of 9pm-present, I cranked out a paper that's not due for another two days. Yet, this morning at 8:30am, I wasn't even in the right state of mind to bring a pen to tutorial.

A. Pen.

The stark contrast between the times when my mind is fresh is ridiculous. I had to bother an equally zoned-out student in front of me for a pen to sign the attendance sheet (the only reason I ventured to class that early in the first place, I've had a long few weeks), who also didn't have a pen. A guy sitting across the aisle was kind enough to toss me a pen, and the situation was slightly salvaged by me not dropping the pen.

I should probably re-locate to another time zone if I want to have a successful career. And I may need to re-locate every so-often in case my body decides to 'adapt', even though it clearly does not want to adapt to my current situation.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 2:19 AM .