Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Cake (It's a To-The-Point-Kinda-Title)  

In honor of someone's birthday, we held a family barbecue consisting of about 10 or so relatives from my mother's side of the family. It is a yearly tradition of good food and some polite conversation (I won't lie, it gets quiet at times).

My mother called me at work today and told me to pick up a cake of my choosing from the Maxim Bakery located close to home for the occasion. And so I grabbed a Mango Dream cake on the way home. It had a plump strawberry on top, and the outer edges were coated with coconut shavings. I also had them compose a message in frosty icing.

Did I mention it was my birthday we were celebrating?

So mom didn't have time to go pick out a cake for her own son, so instead, she calls up said son to pick up a cake for himself.



I first debated putting, "Happy Birthday ... Chris" (my brother's name), on the cake, and then faking an outrage when the cake was to be presented. I thought myself out of it, realizing most of my relatives probably would not appreciate my sense of humor.

I ended up just putting one of my own narcissistic catch phrases on top, and nobody questioned why 'awesome' was spelled with two a's.

I still appreciated my own inside joke.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 10:18 PM .