Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Take Care Of Yourself  

A final evaluation of my work term was conducted today, or should I say, handed to me on three pieces of paper.

One of the categories interns such as myself are rated on is "grooming", with the grade being "appropriate" or "inappropriate".

Two questions immediately popped into my head when reading this.

1. What does it take to score "inappropriate"? Because I've definitely walked into work with messy hair, and I probably do not take care of my facial hair as often as I should (my parents give me disapproving looks from time to time). I've gone to work in sandals, shorts, t-shirts and hats. And this one time, I even had the audacity to work a full day in sweat-pants, resembling someone who just rolled out of bed (because that's what really happened). And there have been quite a few days where I've forgotten to apply deodorant. These things not withstanding, I still scored "appropriate".

2. The fact that this is a criteria, grooming must have been an issue in the past, no? Somebody probably wandered into work smelling so rotten, and looking like they just walked out of a hurricane, that customers were offended, co-workers were driven to resignation, and security had to be utilized (security never, ever, does anything, at all, except conduct random desk checks to make sure things have been in order, and as I mentioned before, I've been screwed over twice by these supposed random checks).

It's fun to think about these things while being paid to work.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 11:19 PM .