Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First Stop: The Zoo  

I've had a very busy weekend. And considering I have the ability to ramble on, I'll break it up into a few posts, if I don't forget, or lose interest.

Snakes on a plain. Not plane. But almost the same. But not.

Quite boring, and I can't blame them, because most things are pretty boring when asleep. Except for Nick Cannon. He's hilarious. 200% of the time.

I have much higher hopes for the homonymous Snakes On A Plane.

Much has been observed over this weekend, and I am now ready to share. After-all, if one does not share, has one learned anything at all?

Stop and think about it, because not only is this good in theory, it works when one is explaining homework to another. And because sometimes, I am, uhh how do I put this, more academically inclined than others, I tend to have to explain my chicken scratch answers, proving once in for all that I actually understand the work myself.

I'm going to miss that.

The Metro Toronto Zoo employs a very logical organization of its' animals. Dividing animals into exhibits based on their region of origin.

A la the upcoming controversial season of Survivor.

I have come to the conclusion that there is only one group of animals that is truly interesting as a group unto themselves. And for the same reason, we thankfully do not have such tourist attractions as the "Eurasian Lion Safari" or the "Canadian Lion Safari". European Reindeer? Moose? CANADIAN GEESE? I'll take my pygmy hippopotamus any day.

And don't think that I came into the day biased either. Just because I like "black" music did not mean that I would naturally gravitate towards the African animals. It just happens. Honestly.

I came into the day very well prepared, very ready to see lots and lots of animals. Or so I thought. I feel a sidenote coming up.

*Sidenote: Animals are only interesting when interacting with other animals. The thought of having two rhinos charging at each other is much more salivating than the thought of watching a rhino attempting to flip over a rock out of sheer boredom. And a lot of a time, a lonely animal is a less active animal. It takes two. I'm much more over-the-top in the company of others in comparison to when I'm lazing around at home. So, zoo folks, please take the money you're making off the ridiculous entrance fees and go invest in another rhino, tiger and monkey.*

Ahem.

In preparation for the zoo visit, I cultivated the perfect stuffy nose so I as to be unaffected by the rank smells that certainly did not disappoint. Not that I would know personally, but the groans from my fellow friends confirmed my suspicion that the zoo would indeed smell like manure.

But what I did forget was to strap on the marathon gear for the ensuing walk-a-thon. It didn't help that an optimal route around the zoo was not picked out (I must've seen the same Harvey's joint three or four times that day, and where's a McDonalds when one needs one? Some golden delicious fries would've helped spur me on, that's all I'm saying). But as a scholar who has studied graph theory unintensively a few times during my university career, I was slightly annoyed. As annoyed as I am at people with atrocious grammar.

On a related note, what's the word for people that annoy themselves? I'm drawing blanks, and any help would be appreciated. From the people here at Stupefying Stupidity, still in collaboration with Boyz II Men, would like to thank you in advance.

I now know why the zoo is an ideal location to take kids to for a summer camp day trip. The kids will naturally tire themselves out running to see the polar bears, then running to the other end of the zoo to see the elephants, then realize they missed the jaguar back in the first section, and run all the way back there.

Kids. You gotta love 'em. McDonald fries. I'm lovin' it.

I thought the point of limiting myself to one topic was to actually limit myself. Things just never pan out the way you plan them.

Lastly, it never ceases to amaze me how a group of more-or-less grown up people can come together in the face of overwhelming adversity, and find a way to amuse themselves. Regardless of the location or event. It's making fun out of thin air. Magic.

This post could've ended a couple paragraphs ago.

Dr. House back in the game, slapping ignorant fools that need to be set straight.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 10:04 PM .