Thursday, February 08, 2007

Because No One Cares What You Had For Lunch  

Realizing that this blog has been a little uninspired lately, I seized an opportunity that will, hopefully, liven things up a bit.



So far, I've only committed to posting on 5 of the topics of the wonderful readership's random choosing, but there really isn't a better way than to kick things off with suggestion number 13.

You may accuse me of being a little rusty in the area of urban mythology, specifically bad luck charms, but if my birthday is good enough for the 13th, then that has to balance out any evil powers the number 13 intrinsically contains doesn't it?

Without any further ado, I present to you, suggestion number 13 from Margaret Mason's book, No One Cares What You Had For Lunch - 100 Ideas for Your Blog.

13 - Act On Ceremony - What are the family traditions or personal rituals you practice, or new ones you've always wanted to introduce?

I choose to answer the latter, and I hope to implement this tradition come the annual Chinese New Year dinner with friends and/or family. My brother and I will inevitably be asked the same small-talk questions year-in, year-out, now that we're on the same course of life, or relatively the same in that we're both university students.

You know, the same boring questions surrounding our subjects of study, our living arrangements, our love lives, our supposed missing-of-home (myth!), and our personal hygiene, just to name a few.

On a side-note, I've always considered making a flyer that would contain all the important information that a relative/acquaintance would want to know about. I would hand them out at all events I am forced to attend, then sit down on the most comfortable looking sofa/chair, sipping on cheap champagne or sparkling apple juice the rest of the night. Oh, I'd be smoking a cigar too. If anyone dared breach the realm of conversation with me, I would merely tap the pamphlet, smile, and look away.

But that's not what I want to implement. I propose to randomly pick 16 of the potential questions either my brother or myself would be asked, and randomly arrange them on a 4x4 table/chart. Then, as the event wears on, any question asked with a corresponding box in the afore-created table/chart would be checked off. The first person to line up four in a row, either vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, and scream "BINGO!" at the top of their lungs, would be declared the winner and would be granted the right to decide the consequences for the loser.

If I win the Chinese New Year round, I'm taking 50% of his red-pocket money. Or I would take his braille dog-tag, like a sniper takes from his/her victim in the world of war.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 7:25 PM .