Sunday, April 15, 2007

Album Review: Feist - The Reminder  

I'm so out of my element here. I don't know how to properly review/critique anything that isn't insanely horrible (hi K-Fed!), pop, or hip hop. But in the spirit of constantly making a fool out of myself, I'm going to go ahead with this anyways.




Track One - So Sorry
Things Feist could possibly be sorry for:
- having an amazing voice that manages to make me feel inferior in oh-so-many-ways
- neglecting to say "bless you" after someone sneezed
- not holding the door open for the person behind her (for shame)

Track Two - I Feel It All
This track in particular, probably because the instruments bang a little harder, annoys me a little because her voice sounds like its coming through a sound filter in comparison to the crystal clarity of everything else going on.

Track Three - My Moon My Man
I'll make it a point to call someone of my choosing a "Skirty swift bean".

I wonder if moon-cake is readily available in supermarkets even if it is a tad off-season, or if I have to find the Asian black market for some.

Track Four - The Park
It got really quiet really quickly. Has the backing of crickets and "outdoorsy" noises. (Outdoorsy is a word? Feisty.) I suppose it's cohesive with the track title.

Track Five - The Water
I think Feist needs to be a little more creative with the track titles. Second track in a row that is pin-drop quiet but has the haunting quality her voice so readily provides.

Track Six - Sea Lion Woman
See now this title is intriguing. Upon inspection of the lyrics, I have found that a sea lion woman "drinks coffee" and "drinks tea". Wow. Amazing. Usually people pick a side in that debate! I think I'm going to investigate this!



Track Seven - Past in Present
I won't lie. I completely zoned this song out while preparing the poll for track six.

Track Eight - The Limit To Your Love
Feist is being pessimistically realistic.

Track Nine - One Two Three Four
Feist is proving once and for all that she can indeed count two four. I mean, to for. Forget it. This track is right up my alley, mostly because it involves the use of numbers and there's nothing more appealing than numbers (mmmm pi), but also because it sounds delightful, employing the use of some brass instruments!

Track Ten - Brandy Alexander
Feist likes sweet, brandy based, cocktails. Now, I know rappers like to endorse products (Have you seen the ridiculous string of T.I. Chevy commercials? T.I. and Nascar go together like peanut butter and people with peanut allergies. MORBIDLY. How many trucks full of money did they back onto his driveway for him to do agree to this? Two? Ten? I need to know.)

Track Eleven - Intuition
Didn't Jewel already make this song? There's some crowd interaction at the end of this track! She knows how to work an audience! Just like I know how to work a readership!

*crickets*

My mistake.

Track Twelve - Honey Honey
Billy Bee would be so proud of Feist.

Track Thirteen - How My Heart Behaves
Sigh. I don't want this album to end, but like most good things, it must also come to an end. I wonder what happens to be next on my play-list. Let's find out...Amerie! Vastly underrated, but I won't get into that today.

Wrap-Up
If you liked Feist's older offerings, you'll enjoy this. Very interested to see how she delivers in a live-performance venue.

Posted in posted by Buttug McOysty . 2:40 PM .