Monday, May 08, 2006

For The Record  

House is the best doctor not named God.

You would think that a show so focused on a different medical mystery every episode would run dry after a season and a half.

Not so.

There was only one problem with the last episode I watched. And for that matter, I have this problem with a few other shows as well. It's when they start name dropping characters from other shows, or just blatantly stating the name of the other show. Not that it wasn't done very intelligently. But hear me out.

House talks about Jack Bauer. So obviously, Jack Bauer is involved in House's life and will show up on that show (I love crossovers), or House has seen Jack Bauer on television. Okay, both scenarios seem equally plausible right now. Except Jack Bauer does this thing where he's superhuman for one day of the year, then disappears for the next however-long it takes for writters to write up another impossible day. So he cannot be an everyday person in House's life. Moreover*, Jack Bauer has never visited a hospital before because he doesn't get hurt. And if he does, he patches up himself with whatever resources available to him.

Let's say House has seen Jack Bauer on television. The question now becomes whether or not House has seen himself on television. And if he has, is there the possibility that he'd be watching himself in real-time? Because then it really gets confusing. He'd be watching himself on television, and in that picture, the television House would be watching, yup you guessed it, television where another television House would be watching television etc.

Or is there some sort of gap in the space-time continuum? I think somebody should start digging up Hermann Minkowski's grave just to check that he's not rolling over right now.

Because nobody likes Richard Simmons, or a dead guy that's lying on their face. On the other hand, it makes television geeks like me giggle with glee when shows that I watch reference other shows that I watch. It's the equivalent of discovering all the personal connections you have in common with the new faces around you, or the degree of separation between you and celebrity. So from this point on, I will ignore this slight logical flaw and get back to turning my brain to a vegetable in front of the tv.

Oh, normally I wouldn't do this, but maybe times are achangin, or I'm turning into a softie. But I'm gonna go ahead and wish two people a happy birthday whether you the reader likes it or not.

To you, my favorite Chinese Christian Celebrity, may you stay trendy and young forever. Happy birthday.
To you, my hero because your only goal in life is to make me spell out words in full. And frankly, anyone willing to take on my laziness in a battle to the death can submit an application to be considered one of my heroes. Happy birthday.

*What a great word.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 9:46 AM .