Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It's Been A Long Time In The Making  

One journeys through life's ups and downs because at the end of the day, you can go home and look forward to the end-goal and take solace in the fact that you have endured hardships/experienced joy rather than living a mundane life wehre you feel nothing. Furthermore, knowing that ultimately your fate is in the hand of a righteous, just and faithful God can have this calming effect on you no matter what you've encountered over the course of a particular day.*

I have journeyed hard in this life. Inevitably life has led me to the events that occured yesterday. The works were set in motion with a simple question, one that has been numerous times by many different people in their own walks in life, and it goes a lil something like this:

"Excuse me, but could I please borrow your cellular phone?"

And you thought I was getting all introspective on you. What do you think I'm tryin to do? Kick knowledge on you suckers? If knowledge is power, and Monday's is Jack Bauer, we're gonna need some May showers to wash away the bad taste in my mouth from this coffee that seems to have gone sour.

the crickets chirping in the background shake their head, get up and file out

Readers of the SS-Buttug**, yours truly, in all my aawesomeness, finally decided to take the plunge into the wireless phone world. As of yesterday, I have officially been collared. Or should I say caller'd. Yes, I finally hooked myself up with a cell phone.

No longer will I pester you, my friend, to lend me their cell phones for another brother's, or sister's, number. No longer will I need to ask if you have the time. No longer will I need to use your phone to squeeze in a quick call to my mother to let her know that I'm still alive and kickin', and just because it's midnight and I ain't home yet, it doesn't mean something horrible has happened to me because I'm simply sittin at a quaint bubble-tea shop sippin on some flavorful tea, with my mind on mah money and mah money on my mind.

West coast, Holler back!***

No longer will I be able to skip out from social gatherings because people couldn't reach me. Because in that sense, I now possess this microchip that tracks where I am, and anyone has the ability to reach me by simply dialing 647-40... and that's all you get for free folks.

No longer will I be able to use the excuse that my Ipod was turned up too loudly and I was too into the music to notice you passing me on the sidewalk, when I really did notice you but wanted to avoid awkward and unnecessary conversation. Now, I can simply fake a call, point to the phone, wave my hand, and be off, and that somehow is socially acceptable.

I'd like to be the first to welcome myself to the bigleagues, and congratulate myself on getting there. Thank you, you've all been great. I look forward to the first time I get that special call from you friends.

*Like a smoothie.
**As in, Stupefying Stupidity - Buttug
***I have only one homie out in the west coast. I doubt he'll holler back at me.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 9:19 AM .