Thursday, June 15, 2006

Why Wasn't I Informed  

Welcome to the middle of June, the month where there are no long weekends in Canada. No, getting drunk on Log Cabin Day (June 25) and not waking up in time for work on National Chocolate Pudding Day (Monday the 26th) does not count. Just ask your boss, I'm sure he/she boss will be more than happy to lay it down straight for ya. And cut your pay just for good measure. Hate "the man" yet? Yeah, I'm only one month in, it's too early.

Naturally, looking forward to a celebration of any sort tends to get me through the working day/week. So to my utter disbelief followed by delight, I found out that George Bush himself has declared June as a recognition month for Black Music.

Yes, the same George Bush that hates Black people.

And here I stand, on the 15th of June. That's 15 days of festivities I may have missed out on. That's as unacceptable as your dog eating your homework five times in a row.

And as unacceptable as Pharrell/Kanye's* co-crap-boration track "Number One".

To catch up on this Black music appreciation, from now til the end of the month, I refuse to play anything on my iPod not dubbed "Black Music". I'm sorry Mr. Mayer, appologies Sufjan, no hard feelings Avril, and I'll be seeing you in 15 days Raul Midon (but you won't be seeing me).

To commemorate this momentous dedication of the next 15 days of my life, I requested that new Beyonce ft. Jay-Z joint on Flow93.5 and the nice guys put it through within the next half hour! That's some serious efficiency they got going on down there, good for you Flow, now stop playing Shakira then me and you will be alright.

Oh, and on a sidenote here, you need to check that Beyonce track because that song is off the hook. Jay-Z needs to stop teasing me with hot-off-the-stove guest verses and just make an album.

And to help me make this a constructive fifteen days, I am going to make a quick run to Home Depot, where your bathroom vanity comes with a 50 pound brick of marijuana. Because I suspect, and this is not based on any stereotyping of any sort, but marijuana may end up being a common theme in some songs that are on my playlist. And after I listen to them, I may need to flush some marijuana down the toilet to cure my conscience.

*Two of the biggest producers, and they couldn't put something together something resembling a smash hit. Get back in the studio and please try again.

posted by Buttug McOysty . 8:06 PM .