Thursday, June 23, 2005

contractions  

i talk to myself a lot, mostly in my head, but at times i'm talking outloud. whatever seems to make me laugh, i put it down here for y'all to read. so if you're gonna trash my post, please remember that on average i am only funny once a week AND may i remind you to go walk into a wall.

so i recently discovered that i have been using "y'all" wrong. i keep typing "ya'll". not that i use it often enough for me to point out but i'm pointing it out anyways. deal with it. but when i realized it, i felt quite stupid. i even tried to validate my stupidity by asking kwan where he put the apostrophe, and even he knew where to rightly put it (must not take a cheapshot at kwans gayness...oh too late)

i mean CMON! a university student like me should know that an apostrophe goes in the place of the missing letters! so unless i was trying to spell "ya all", then i've been looking like an idiot while no one said a word to me. the equivalent of walking around with your fly down and everyone snickering but nobody saying a word to the guy with a fly down. not that it has happened to me before.

of course, i hafta get to the root of the problem. do i have some sort of problem with my apostrophe placement? so i take a journey back in time to grade 3ish in language class, and i imagine that a classroom conversation may have gone something like this:

Teach: A****, what is the contraction for "can not"?
Me: Can't.
Teach: Good work. And for "do not"?
Me: Don't.
Teach: Hm-hm. And "will not"?
Me: Willn't.
Teach: (laughs) No. Anyone else?
Someone else: Won't.
Me: WTH! It should be willn't. What the crap is won't? Did you eat some alphabits this morning and crap that word out? Screw this, I'm going home.

*Disclaimer: actual conversation may have never happened. i blame this on my bad memory. it seems that as time goes by, my brain seems to contract (ha), and while this leads to loss of some memories, it also allows me the convenient excuse of making up stories to fill the void of the forgotten ones that arent as interesting

posted by Buttug McOysty . 1:03 PM .